Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Mod 8 Post 1

  The game I choose to review was Third World Farmer.  Personally, I have played this game 3 times. My language learning objectives with this game would be translation from English to Spanish and writing in Spanish to describe a particular experience. I choose to make this a translation activity due to the fact that even when I downloaded the game off of the site in Spanish, the anual reports for each turn were still in English. That is ok though. I would have my students translate the "event of the year" and "summary" portions of each turns' anual report. To conclude the activity, I would have the students write a paragraph describing their experiences as a third world farmer. They would have to include information such as whether or not any of their family members died, what kinds of items that had to sell, and whether or not they found it difficult to afford crops and livestock. Not only would this game meet these language learning objectives, but it would also tie perfectly into a cultural discussion of migrant workers from Mexico and other Spanish speaking parts of the world. The students could have a virtual hands on experience with this.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Briana, I did some checking and the game itself can be in Spanish. Here is the link: http://www.3rdworldfarmer.com/ Just click on the flag for Spain in the upper right hand corner of the screen.

    ReplyDelete